Our Supporter promise
The Africa Research Excellence Fund is grateful for each and every donation received. Without your support, we could not continue to support and nurture researchers in Sub-Saharan Africa, with the goal of saving and improving lives across the continent. Thank you.
We are committed to the highest standards of fundraising and supporter care. Giving to us should be a great experience and this is our promise to you:
To commit to high standards
- We adhere to the Code of Fundraising Practice.
- We monitor fundraisers, volunteers and third parties working with us to raise funds, to ensure that they comply with our Promise as set out here, and with the Code of Fundraising Practice.
- We comply with the UK law as it applies to charities and fundraising.
- We display the Fundraising Regulator badge on our fundraising material to show we are committed to good practice.
We are clear, honest and open
- We will tell the truth and we won’t exaggerate.
- We do what we say we are going to do with your donations.
- We are clear about who we are and what we do.
- We give a clear explanation of how you can make a gift and will always offer you the opportunity to change your mind or change your regular gift whenever you wish.
- Where we ask a third party to fundraise on our behalf, we will make this relationship and the financial arrangement transparent.
- We keep administration costs to a minimum and are happy to answer any questions you may have in relation to fundraising costs and how they are used in the best interests of our cause.
- We ensure our complaints process is clear and easily accessible.
- We provide clear and evidence based reasons for our decisions on complaints.
We are respectful
We respect your rights and privacy. Your data is safe with us. We take our obligations very seriously and we will never sell your data to third party organisations.
- We will not make any cold calls directly or through any third party companies.
- We do not put undue pressure on you to make a gift. If you do not want to give or wish to cease giving, we respect your decision.
- Our staff, suppliers and volunteers will adhere to the Institute of Fundraising’s policy on vulnerable people.
- Where the law requires, we will get your consent before we contact you to fundraise.
- If you tell us that you don’t want us to contact you in a particular way, we will not do so.
- We will ensure that we only communicate with you in the way you choose and will not contact you if you do not wish to be contacted in any way.
We are fair and reasonable
- We treat everyone fairly, showing sensitivity and adapting our approach depending on your needs.
- We take care not to use any images or words that intentionally cause distress or anxiety.
- We take care not to cause nuisance or disruption to the public.
We are accountable and responsible
- We manage our resources responsibly and consider the impact of our fundraising on our donors, supporters and the wider public.
- We provide information about our research work and finances to show you how your money is being spent.
- We will always provide easy ways for you to contact us – our contact details are below and on our website.
- If you are unhappy with anything we’ve done, we will work with you to resolve all complaints as soon as possible.
- We have a complaints procedure, which is outlined here.
- If we make a mistake, we will apologise and do everything we can to put things right. However, if we cannot resolve your complaint, we accept the authority of the Fundraising Regulator to make a final adjudication.
- We will monitor and record the number of complaints we receive each year and share this data with the Fundraising Regulator on request.
How to get in touch: If you would like to get in touch about anything related to fundraising, please contact Maria Andrews, our Head of Major Gifts, on:
- Email Maria.Andrews@aref-africa.org.uk
- Phone 020 7395 2346 (Monday to Friday 9am-5pm)
- Post Africa Research Excellence Fund c/o MRC, 49-51 East Road London, N1 6AH
If you would like to get in touch with us for any other reason, please email email@example.com.